Asbestos Legislation The Latest News
|Senator Harry Reid has been a strong voice in the U.S. Senate for asbestos cancer victims. He has fought hard to protect the rights of patients to seek justice in the civil courts. He has worked tirelessly to defeat the bail out bill. And he has championed the need for the federal government to fund a mesothelioma research and treatment program, especially for navy veterans. L to R, Ann Worthington, Sen. Harry Reid, Roger Worthington (April, 2006, Corona Del Mar, CA)|
|Protecting Rights, Building Hope. R. Worthington thanking U.S. Senator Dick Durbin (Illinois) for delivering a moving keynote speech at the 2006 MARF conference in Chicago, flanked bymesothelioma survivor and client John McNamara. Worthington founded MARF in 1999, at a time when many of his lawyer colleagues refused to support the non-partisan effort to fund research for a cure.|
|"S. 852 is simply bad public policy. This is not tort reform, it is a new government program that is staggeringly complicated and unworkable. It creates a $140 billion new tax on businesses and insurers. It unfairly benefits a handful of insider companies.. . . And it will most assuredly go broke, leaving U.S. taxpayers on the hook. "The Senate should vote down S. 852 and start over . . ." -- Former U.S. House Majority Leader Dick Armey (R-Tex).|
|"I was taught that you run your business in an ethical manner," he says. "If I hadn't seen the documentation that these companies knew what they were doing, I wouldn't have pursued this. But I'm angry." -- Terry McCann, Los Angeles Times, February 20, 2006.|
|Protesting SB 852! - Letters From Mesothelioma Patients and Their Families Urge Senators to Defeat SB 852 (4/21/05)|
|Battle Stations! Asbestos Advocacy Alert! No to Corporate Bail Outs. No to SB 852. RGW 4/18/05) Last Updated on July 18, 2005|
Enough is Enough! US Senate Votes to Ban Asbesos(10/04/07)
Asbestos No More: Asbestos Ban Imminent (10/04/07
Meso Research Continues to be Grossly Under-funded (11/07/06)
Navy Veterans Heavily Exposed to Asbestos on Ships, but Bail Out Bill Undermines Right to Fair Compensation (7/25/06)
- Senator Warner: "support research and treatment", James Zuwalt. (7/17/06)
- Holtz-Eakin Delivers Blow on Asbestos Trust Fund Bill (6/27/06)
- AFL-CIO Opposes "New" Asbestos Bail Out Bill (S. 3274) (6/8/06)
Bill Remains $20 Billion Corporate Bailout for Asbestos
Companies That Knowingly Poisoned People (6/5/06)
A Mesothelioma Patient's Plea
Asbestos is the devil's shill!
When breathed it makes us very ill.
Where once inside it sets a fire,
Whose flames grow ever higher and higher.
Some call it mesothelioma, some a curse!
Men, women, old and young get worse.
Because no treatment's known to cure,
This tumor the exposed endure.
For each of us, our heart's desire,
Would be a way to quench this fire!
Omentum, diaphragm and lung,
We lost when cancer's trap was sprung.
Our suffering erodes our will,
We've tasted chemo's bitter pill,
With scalpels scarred and photons burned,
We've paid the price that mesothelioma's earned.
Please help us fight to save the lives,
Of sons and husbands, daughters, wives.
Those dying and all those who follow,
The thousands more who'll die tomorrow.
For those afflicted there's no choice,
But fight to stay the cancer's course.
Let research give them tools to fight,
And set this deadly wrong to right.
* * *
Please encourage your government to provide funding into mesothelioma research! Write your congressman and senators today to support research rather than the FAIR Act which seeks to pardon the asbestos companies who unleashed this poison on the public.
Klaus A. Brauch
Right Pleural Epithelial Mesothelioma
- Give It Up, Arlen (3/6/06)
- Asbestos Fund Opponents Kill Bill (2/15/06)
- S. 852: A Budget Buster. How the Asbestos Bailout Bill Busts the Budget and Burdens the Taxpayers with Billions in Debt (2/12/06)
- Mesothelioma Medical Experts Oppose Asbestos Trust Fund, Saying FAIR Act Hurts More than Helps (2/9/06)
- Small Businesses, Doctors and Patients Opposed to Asbestos Trust Fund (2/9/06)
- Bail Out Bill Is Critically Flawed: Bullet Points For Shooting Down This Rotten, Un-American, Unconstitutional, Get-Out-of -Jail-Free Bill (SB 852) (2/8/06)
- No Money for a Cure over Last 60 years, but over $8.245 Million for Lobbyists in Only 6 Months (2/7/06)
- The Mother of Corporate Bail-Outs: If FAIR Act Passes, USG will save $3 Billion (1/31/06)
- Senator Harry Reid Takes His Gloves Off For Asbestos Victims: To Bill Frist, "[S. 852] is Plagued By Massive Uncertainties ..."! (1/31/06)
- FAIR Act Is Anything But Fair (1/30/06)
- Asbestos Litigation Madness: Have The States Turned A Corner? (1/23/06)
- City Leaders Call on Wyden, Smith to Reject Asbestos Bill (1/18/06)
- Public Citizen: Asbestos Trust Fund Could Hurt Victims, Cost Taxpayers: Bleak Assessment of Existing Federal Compensation Programs Casts Further Doubt on Viability of Sen. Specter's Asbestos Corporate Bailout (12/14/05)
- "Dr. Frist, Do No Harm." -- Dr. Bret Williams, Meso Survivor (12/13/05)
- Kerry Urges Frist to Postpone Floor Vote on Flawed, Unfair and Unripe Bailout Bill (12/5/05)
- Time to Stuff this Bad Bill Back in its Bottle -- No on SB 852! (12/2/05)
- Asbestos-Victim Fund Characterized as Inadequate (11/18/05)
- TITLE: SB 852 Is a Sinking Ship (11/17/05)
- No, This Isn't Another Joke About Lawyers (10/27/05)
- US Asbestos Fund Would Quickly Go Broke: Study (9/19/05)
- Asbestos Bill Slighting Victims in Arkansas (8/29/05)
- After $140 Billion is Gone Asbestos Will Come Right Back to State Courts, Say Democrats (8/5/05)
- Senator Murray Honors Brian Harvey, Advocate for Asbestos Victims (7/29/05)
- Doctor Wages Personal, Political Asbestos Battle (7/25/05)
- An Opposition Letter to the FAIR Act by James G. Zumwalt (7/18/05)
- Historical Alliance of Doctors and Mesothelioma Patients Argue that Bail Out Bill's Arbitrary Awards Caps Discriminate Against Younger Patients and Under-funds Medical Research.
- Senator Specter Breaks Promise to Mesothelioma Patient and Research Community (7/1/05)
- Business Group Mobilizes to Expose Flaws in Asbestos Trust Fund Bill (6/16/05)
- Texas Governor Rick Perry Opposes Federal Asbestos Trust Fund, see letter to Pres. George Bush, May 20, 2005 (6/8/05)
- Federal Asbestos Legislation: The Winners Are.. Public Citizen, Public Citizen's Congress Watch. (6/1/05)
Leading Medical Experts Fault Arbitrary, Outdated Medical Criteria in Asbestos Bill. Public Citizen, Public Citizen's Congress Watch. (6/1/05)
- The Asbestos Bail Out Bill is Under-funded, Unworkable, Unconstitutional and Unfair. May 29, 2005. (RGW)
Committee Approves Asbestos Bill With Strings Attached (5/26/05)
Buying Trust: Asbestos Manufacturers Push for Litigation Reform (5/13/05)
An Open Letter from Jim Grogan of the Asbestos Workers Union Regarding S. 852 the "Fairness in Asbestos Injury Resolution Act of 2005 (FAIR Act)" (5/11/05)
Medical Criteria: Senate Bill 852 - To Sen. Arlen Specter from L. Christine Oliver, MD, MPH, MS, FACPM and Michael R. Harbut, MD, MPH, FCCP (5/11/05)
Major Lobbying Campaign Nets Small Group of Companies Tens of Billions of Dollars from Senate's Asbestos Bill, Report Finds (5/10/05)
- Asbestos Medical Criteria Bill proposed by Representative Chris Cannon (R-UT); allows impaired asbestos claimants to pursue their civil claims in court, puts non-impaired claimants on a waiting list. See http://www.atla.org/private/asbestos/hr1957cannon.pdf (5/4/05)
- Letter Opposing S. 852 from American Public Health Association to U.S. Senate. (5/2/05)
- Asbestos Bill Bogged Down RGW (4/29/05)
- A Bill That Harms Asbestos Victims (4/28/05)
- Statement by AFL-CIO President John Sweeney On Asbestos Trust Fund Legislation (S.852) (4/25/05)
- Asbestos Bankruptcy Debtor Settlement Trusts Oppose FAIR, Call it "Unconstitutional Taking of Property and threatent to bring suit." (4/21/05)
- Battle Stations! Asbestos Advocacy Alert! No to Corporate Bail Outs. No to SB 852. RGW 4/18/05) Last Updated on July 18, 2005
- Senate Bill Threatens Californians Most Seriously Harmed by Asbestos (4/18/05)
- Mesothelioma Victim Explains How Asbestos Bill Will Let Companies "Continue to Get Rich Off the Sickness and Death of People Like Me" (4/13/05)
- Asbestos Bail Out Bill is Back (and ugly as ever) RGW (4/11/05)
- Legal, News, Business Web Links (3/16/05)
- Veterans Deserve Asbestos Help (3/14/05)
- The Asbestos Bill. by Arlen Specter (3/1/05)
- Asbestos Trust Fund Hurts Victims (1/31/05)
- Testimony before the U.S. Senate Committee on the Judiciary, January 11, 2005
- Message to Congress: Clean Up the Mess by Banning Asbestos, Funding Medical Research and Compensating the Seriously Injured. Paul Zygielbaum , Jan. 7, 2005
- Federal-Mogul Corporation and Official Committee of Unsecured Creditors of Federal-Mogul Oppose National Asbestos Trust Fund Proposal as Fatally Flawed (1/7/05)
Bill 1125 Bails Out Asbestos Corporations, Betrays Asbestos
Please read! Counter arguments to Bill: Fund inadequate, Delays unavoidable, Bankruptcy Overrated, Huge Corporate windfall, Victims lose, Rule of Law bludgeoned.
- Protesting SB 1125! - Letters From Mesothelioma Patients and Their Families Urge Senators to Defeat SB 1125
Media Campaign Against SB 1125/2290
cancer from a habit I started at 14. My habit was going to
(NOTE: you will need to view the ad [.pdf] using Adobe Acrobat)
To learn more about the Stoeckler family referred to in this poster, please Click Here.
|The following as posted in the Washington, D.C. Roll Call newspaper.|
|Asbestos a Problem? Not For Honeywell's CEO. He Took Home $56 Million Dollars Last Year (Roll Call Mag. Ad, 6/27/03)|
|Why Should Congress Help Halliburton Walk Away From a $4 Billion Dollar Settlement With Asbestos Victims? (Roll Call Mag. Ad, 6/20/03)|
|Corporate America Aimed to Eliminate Jury from Asbestos Injury Claims (Roll Call Mag. Ad, 6/10/03)|
|Asbestos Defendants Rejoice: "We will Party in the Streets" if Hatch Asbestos Defendant Windfall Passes (5/29/03)|